Wednesday 24 July 2013

Are we really responsible for who we grow to become?

TRAIN A CHILD IN A WAY HE SHOULD GO,SO THAT WHEN HE GROWS, HE SHALL NOT DEPART FROM IT 

This a simple passage in the book of proverbs, if nearly half of our parents yesterday followed this simple instruction, they wouldn't have had to face half of the HBP and heartbreaks they face today. 

Nature has provided us with good examples to learn from, certain species of plants can be made to grow into specific patterns by redirecting their growth patterns while still tender shoots, even in some parts of the world primitive people have used this knowledge to shape their skulls, by shaping the heads of their toddlers into specific shapes. 

There is hardly anything called choice for children, until the child grows to know what is actually right or wrong. The mind of a child is like a fertile soil where anything planted grows, he grows to be a replica of what is planted in him. 

A child who watches sports everyday, reads sports magazine everyday, taught sports everyday would eventually grow to love sports. 

A child who is born into a society where everyone is a hostile drug addict, gradually get to soak up the negative influence of his environment and eventually becomes a part of it as an adult. 

A child's mind is like a malleable hot metal that can be beaten into any pattern, once it gets cold due to age, there is hardly anything you can do to change him without encountering resistance. You can either gently mould him into what you want him to be today, and watch him grow into it tomorrow, or you can take his little mind for granted today, and get ready to break him tomorrow or get broken trying. 

I am not an exception to this rule. Before i was born, my parents bought the complete 15 volumes of Junior world encyclopedia among other book that eventually became my favourites. It was compulsory for me to read a story, daily, from a complete 7 volumes of bed time stories, this did not only put a spark to my imagination, it also taught me values, what was right and what was wrong. 
I read books all through my childhood, sometimes i spent my holidays going to a family friend's book store everyday, and my parents gave me their unwavering support through it all. The books i read created in me the desire for history learning new things and different cultures of people around the world. i went on to study History & International Relations, in-line with my passion, and in-line with my parents plan for me. 

I was not forced to do what i did, I made my decisions as an adult independent of any person's influence, If you ask me, i could claim that i made my choice for who i am today, i could claim that i independently chose the course of my destiny, but the truth remains that i am just a product of a blue print God implanted in my parents head, from which they drew a plan, and embarked on a continuous engineering project, through encouragement and support they guided me to the path I took, and now, i am the finished product. 

You don't need to fight your children tomorrow if you can write their future today. 
You don't need to scold your children tomorrow if you can mould them today. 
Your children can bring you joy or sadness, happiness or sorrow, pain or pleasure. The choices you make today would tell which of these would be there gift to you tomorrow 

No comments:

Post a Comment